Overview of Dyte APIs/ SDK
- Meeting - Represents a specific video call.
- Participant - Represents a participant in a video call.
- Roles - Manages permissions for participants, like can a participant mute others, can a participant turn their video on etc.
- Presets - Configuration settings for pretty much everything, from how the UI looks to roles that participants have.
This is the how the flow goes for a typical video call.
- Call the "create meeting" endpoint, with meeting title and other optional configuration. - Returns
- Call the "add participant" endpoint with user details and optional settings such as role or preset. - Returns
authTokenfor the user.
- Initialize the meeting on frontend using
You can specify granular permissions allowing/restricting what a participant could do. These roles can be then used to either create preset for your meetings (mentioned below) or specified directly when adding a participant to the meeting, though only one of these 2 methods should be used while adding a participant to a meeting. Some things which roles define are:
- Can a participant screenshare?
- Can a participant create polls?
- Can a participant kick someone out of the meeting?
- Can a participant close activated plugins?
We have built the "host" and "participant" roles as defaults, with typical video call permissions. For the most basic use cases, this should work and you wouldn't need to configure additional roles.
A "preset" is a combination of a participant's "role" and the "uiConfig".
You can then set a preset as default for your organization or specify a preset for a meeting or a participant.
Updated about 1 month ago